July 3, 2015
Drafts for iPad
Drafts 4 is a great app for getting your information entered in text form. It is a quick capture note taking app for iOS. From this app, you can then act on the entry by “sending” it to other apps or let it stay until you decide what you want to do with the information.
There are many apps that Drafts 4 can talk with to increase the usefulness of the actions.
Some of the latest improvements include:
– [New] Handoff support. Works to pass current selected draft between devices, including iPhones, iPads and Apple Watch.
– [Change] Misc. VoiceOver improvements.
– [Change] Improvements to Facebook integration code to reduce chances of failed postings.
– [New] Prompt action step title, message and button fields can now contain drafts tags for dynamically creating values.
– [New] Some additional action icons choices.
– Other misc. fixes and improvements.
You can watch Drafts in action on an Apple Watch below.
To use the Extended Keyboard that comes with Drafts 4, watch the below video.
July 2, 2015
Evernote is an app used to collect bits of information, photos, notes, and more from various iOS devices and Apple Watch as well as your Mac. The information is stored in the cloud, can be synced and accessible from your various devices.
The recent update includes various bug fixes and improvements.
There are two levels of use. Premium (a monthly or annual subscription fee) and free. You can certainly get by on the free service. The paid version gives you additional “features” and allows for more data transfer between your devices.
Some of the premium features include:
• Offline access – work anywhere, even without a connection
• Unlimited uploads – keep all the files you need to get work done
• Better search – search inside Office docs and attachments
• Greater privacy – add a Touch ID or passcode lock
• PDF annotation – use shapes and comments to give visual feedback
• Presentation mode – turn notes into beautiful presentations, no slides required
Evernote is a great alternative to OneNote and allows you to electronically keep up with various notes, thoughts, ideas, checklists and more.
July 2, 2015
GarageBand, an Apple app used to create music has been updated. Aside from stability improvements and bug fixes, you can now share directly from the app to Apple Music Connect with an account.
The app allows you to use graphical touch instruments to create music.
July 1, 2015
lawyer, litigation, trialpad
In anticipation of the newest app release from Saurian, TrialPad is adding support for the soon to be released DocReviewPad.
This app is used by lawyers during trial, motion hearings and during mediation. TrialPad helps you not only organize the information you will need but present it in a powerful real time way that many other apps can’t offer.
DocReviewPad isn’t quite out yet. However, it is designed to make mobile document review easy.
Here are some of the features of DocReviewPad that should be released soon.
- The only full featured and professional mobile document review tool
- Standardized user interface and user experience matches TrialPad and TranscriptPad for the Lit Software “Suite” experience; current TrialPad and TranscriptPad users will be immediately comfortable and up to speed
- Apply customized Bates numbers to hundreds or thousands of pages, quickly and easily; with border, size, and location options
- Rapidly review documents using intuitive swipe gestures
- Mark documents with built in tags for Confidential, Privileged, Relevant, or Responsive
- Assign your own color-coded Issue Codes, e.g. Bank Statements or Nurses Notes
- Zoom in, highlight, or annotate documents
- Flag important documents, and add notes (a digital sticky note)
- Search for a Bates number, file name, or text within one document, a folder of documents, or the whole case
- Export a document production set, omitting certain documents (e.g. all documents, except documents tagged as Confidential and/or Privileged)
- Create beautiful PDF reports of documents produced, including the number of pages, Bates number ranges, and any assigned issue codes and notes; or create a report without showing your issue codes to give to the clerk or opposing counsel
- Easily create separate case and witness folders
- File formats supported: Adobe Acrobat PDF, JPG, PNG, TIF, Multi-Page TIF, and TXT
- Export your documents into TrialPad, with all Issue Codes organized into Key Doc folders
- Fast access to common case folder functions (Open, Rename, Duplicate, Delete) by pressing and holding a case folder
- Access an integrated Quick Tutorial Video onboarding experience, and a free iBook Quick Start Guide, in the Help menu
- Import documents from cloud storage options (Box, Dropbox, Citrix ShareFile, Transporter, and WebDAV) as well as iTunes File Sharing
- Streamlined workflow for Cloud Storage lets users browse multiple accounts, and log in and out of services on-the-fly
- Folder organization inside a case folder allowing for 72 possible combinations of folder colors and icons
- Quickly navigate back to any hierarchical case level, or all the way to the Cases screen, by pressing and holding the Back button
- Proudly designed, coded, and supported in the United States
June 30, 2015
iOS 8 has been updated to version 8.4. The update is available via the usual method. On your iOS device, tap Settings > General > Software Update. The installation varies for each device but the download will be close to 225 MB. Use a Wi-Fi connection.
Aside from various improvements to the system, several security issues have been addressed. The issues are described in the Apple Security Page. Generally, the issues relate to addressing WiFi connectivity, WebKit malicious websites, telephony issues, Safari, Mail, Certificate Trust Policies and more.
To learn more about updating your iOS device, visit this Apple website.
As usual, it is a good idea to back up your device before installing an update.
June 30, 2015
Index Card 4, Outline, outline program
Index Card 4 is an app to help you write and organize your thoughts using a familiar index card analogy. Whether you are a writer, organizer, attorney or student, this app allow you to create high tech notecards and assemble them in useful ways. Any project requiring outlining or the use of notecards to organize the project will be improved by using this app.
Create index notecards and put information and images on the front and back.
Once cards are created, you can organize them by stacking them by subject matter or shuffling them into an order that makes sense to you.
The notes can be viewed in different ways as well: list, notecard, or outline view.
Once you have created your outline, you can then export it into various formats including Scrivner, OPML, PDF and more.
Index Card 4 not only has a new design but adds the ability to use images and formatted text.
The more technology advances, the more one realizes some things like using notecards to organize your thoughts can’t be beat. Index Card 4 combines the tools you are used to and technology to make an intuitive and useful app indispensable. Index Card 4 is available for a limited time at 40% off for $2.99.
June 26, 2015
Apple’s iTunes U app provides what an instructor or teacher needs to help students work together on the iPad, including building lessons with apps and materials. Teachers can grade student’s assignments, mark up PDF assignments and discuss matters.
The updates include:
• Students can hand in their homework assignments
• Annotate PDF assignments directly in iTunes U
• Instructors can grade and track student progress with an integrated grade book
• Private one-on-one conversations between students and instructors
• Include multiple attachments per assignment
This app is for students, instructors and allows you to view free education content.