Do you want to access, create and store your Pages, Numbers, Keynote and other documents with your iPad without syncing to iTunes? If you have a MobileMe account or access to any standard WebDAV server, you can. (you can also share your documents using Apple’s iWork.com which is still in BETA status.)
WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning) allows you to edit and manage files located on a remote server. By linking to a WebDAV location from your iPad app, you can easily copy, edit, and delete documents to and from a remote server or web service without having to sync with a cable with your computer.
Other apps may allow you to use services like Dropbox to store and access your files but, Apple does not currently have a direct way to link your Dropbox account for purposes of storing Pages and Keynote documents.
A prior post on using Dropbox with your iPad is here.
Apple has an article on using a WebDAV service, most of which appears below.
Link to a WebDAV server in your iWork for iPad app:
- In the My Documents view, tap and then tap “Copy to WebDAV.”
- Enter the server address (web address or URL), your user name, and password into the appropriate fields.
- Tap Sign In in the upper-right corner of the window.
After you’ve signed in to a WebDAV server, you can copy documents to and from the server without signing in again (see the instructions below for details). You’ll remain signed in to the server until you tap Sign Out in the upper-right corner of this same window.
You can sign in to a different WebDAV server by signing out of the current server and linking to another one.
Copy a document to a WebDAV server:
- In My Documents view, tap to copy the document you’ve centered the view on.
- Tap Copy to WebDAV, then tap the document format you want to export to: Pages, Microsoft Office, or PDF.
- In the list of folders, tap the one in which you want to save the document. Tap Copy in the upper-right corner of the window.
Copy a document from a WebDAV server:
- In My Documents view, tap .
- Tap Copy from WebDAV. (If necessary, navigate to the document you want to copy by tapping the folder in which its located. If no files or folders are listed, the server is empty.)
- Tap the name of the document you want to copy. The document downloads and opens in your iWork for iPad app.
Delete a file from a WebDAV server:
- Access a list of files on a WebDAV server according to the instructions above.
- Swipe your finger across the name of the file you want to delete.
- Tap the Delete button that appears. You can’t delete folders this way, only files. This action can’t be undone.