Although the Apple Smart cover has always been on my iPad2, I was hesitant to put a cover on the back. I tried different covers like hard plastic shells, but none felt right or interfered with the Smart Cover. Then, while in Best Buy, I saw the Snap Shield. It was light, had a velvety feel (for plastic, it was pretty good), did not cover up the Apple logo or interfere with the Smart Cover.
To my surprise, it felt right. It snaps right on. There is a slight, no slip grip feel to the plastic and I do not hesitate to put the iPad2 down on tables or counters.
The features include:
- Compatible with iPad 2 Smart Cover from Apple
- Integrated steel strip holds the magnetic Smart Cover open *** (My cover did not have a metal strip on the back to keep the Smart Cover open and attached to the back of the iPad2.)
- Durable, translucent polycarbonate with soft-touch finish
- Impact- and scratch-resistant protection
- Slim, form-fitting design
- Allows full access to ports and buttons
- Camera lens cutout
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
There are different colors: clear, smoke and red. Belkin’s suggested retail price is $39.99 US but you can pick one up for about $29.00 US. You may even catch an online sale and pick one up for about $11.99. They are available at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.
The only slight downside is that when you open your Smart Cover and fold it around the back of the iPad2, the plastic is just thick enough to prevent the cover from sticking to the back. I have not found that to be a problem as I fold the cover in half and hold the iPad2 in my hand. Interestingly, Belkin describes the shield as coming with a metal strip to allow the cover to attach.
It is definitely worth checking out and I would recommend it without question.