The world just got a little more populated (7 Billion) and National Geographic takes a look at the significance of this event. The app is free and a 297 mb download.
The information about this app is from the developer and it appears in its entirety below:
National Geographic magazine presents 7 Billion: How your world will change – to coincide with the arrival of the 7 billionth human being to our world. This app explores the challenges of a growing human population in a world of limited resources with informative videos, interactive maps, in-depth articles, and stunning photography.
Featured content includes….
– How big is 7 Billion? An insightful video of the demographic trends that got us here today and how it will impact us tomorrow.
– Birth of a New Brazil: How big families are out, to the credit of strong-willed women—and the steamy soaps that inspired them.
– The Face of Seven Billion Interactive: Tap on the “typical face” to find out who the most typical human is
– Rift in Paradise: As the global population increases Africa’s Albertine Rift gives us a glimpse of what is at stake in the decades ahead.
– Bangladesh: See how resourceful residents of this country refuse to give in to rising seas
– Food Ark: Explore how preserving heirlooms seeds and breeds are crucial if we hope to feed our hungry world.
And to be incorporated into the app in December 2011:
– Cities are the Solution: They may be the best way to lift people from poverty and preserve the environment.
This app is presented by DuPont
About the National Geographic Society
The National Geographic Society has been inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888. It is one of the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institutions in the world. Its interests include geography, archaeology and natural science, and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation.