Apple’s Podcasts app has been updated to version 2.0. This app allows you to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts. iOS7 is now required.
When you first open the app, you may be asked to turn on Auto-downloads to get new episodes for your podcasts subscriptions. Using your Apple ID, you can also sync Podcasts between your various devices.
If you have not tried the app or service before, you may want to start by visiting the Top Charts section where you can see (video) or hear (audio) what is being enjoyed by others. Depending on your interests, you can search the iTunes store to find something of interest to you.
The app is described as follows:
• Explore hundreds of thousands of free podcasts on a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more
• Tap Subscribe for your favorites and automatically get new episodes for free as they become available
• Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Adjust the playback speed of your audio or video podcasts
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Enjoy your favorite podcasts on your TV with AirPlay and Apple TV
• Create custom stations of your favorite podcasts that update automatically when new episodes become available
• Use the On-The-Go playlist to play just the episodes you want
• Choose to download new episodes automatically when they become available, even when the app is not open
• Subscribe to podcasts that require authentication — just enter the podcast URL into Search in My Podcasts
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Facebook, Twitter, Messages, and Mail
• Optionally sync episodes and playlists from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• iCloud remembers your place in an episode, your subscriptions, and your stations and keeps them up to date on your devices, Mac, PC, and Apple TV