March 25, 2015
The OmniGroup has updated OmniOutliner as a universal app that can be run on both iPads and iPhones. The release requires at least iOS version 8.1. You can watch the app in action here.
Some of the new features and bug fixes include:
- Outline View — The outline view now freely scrolls, so the outline column can be scrolled off the screen.
- Images — Image attachments will automatically scale down to fit the width of the column.
- Outline View — The indentation amount for rows now scales with the zoom level.
- Templates — Additional templates used in OmniOutliner 4 for Mac have been added.
- Appearance — The application icon and file browser have been redesigned.
- Updated Layout — The layout of the interface has been adapted to work on smaller iPhone and iPod touch screens as well as larger iPad screens. As a result, some of the controls may no longer be where they used to be–and may even shift automatically to different locations depending on your screen size and orientation. We hope we’ve done this in a way that makes the app even easier to use efficiently, but if you have any comments about any of the changes please don’t hesitate to email us!
- Text Zoom — The default zoom level has been changed to 120% to better work across all iOS devices.
- Flyout Buttons — The new row and notes flyout buttons now have a translucent background so they are easier to see over text.
- Cellular Data — The switch for allowing OmniPresence to use cellular data has been removed. Cellular data usage is now solely controlled by iOS.
- WebDAV — OmniPresence syncing accounts are now completely separate from WebDAV import/export accounts. Due to this, import/export accounts will need to be re-created.
- WebDAV — Added a button to take you to the WebDAV server configuration when login fails.
- Stability — Pasting URLs added to the pasteboard through a Share option should no longer crash.
- Stability — Using shake to undo after changing the document title should no longer crash.
- Scrolling — Fixed a rare issue of being scrolled back to the top when trying to scroll through a long document.
- Word Export — The column style of the outline column should now apply to the export.
- Word Export — Notes should now use the text alignment set in the document instead of always being left aligned.
- Word Export — When row level styles contain nothing but a named style, those attributes should now be applied correctly to the export.
- Templates — The default Blank template is now exactly the same as what ships with OmniOutliner 4 for Mac so there will be no surprises when switching between platforms.
- Keyboard — The keyboard will no longer be dismissed when in the file browser due to a preview being generated.
OmniOutliner can help you get your thoughts down and build your story, paper, or project.
March 20, 2015
How to Add Keyboard, Keyboard
It is possible to use keyboards other than the built in Apple iOS keyboard. There are several options for other keyboards. What is not usually clear is what to do after you buy the keyboard to make it work.
This will walk you through the process.
- Download / Buy the Keyboard you wish to add from the App Store.
- Tap Settings > General > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard…
- Tap on the New Keyboard you wish to add and choose the language.
- Open an app that uses a keyboard, e.g. Notes.
- Tap and hold on the globe icon.
- Choose which keyboard you wish to use and then type away. To get the Apple keyboard back, tap and hold on the globe and choose your language keyboard.
March 19, 2015
image editor, photography, Pixelmator for iPad
Pixelmator for the iPad is a very powerful image editor. You can create, edit and enhance images and share them. Watch and learn more about Pixelmator for iPad below.
The new features and fixes for this version of Pixelmator for iPad include:
• Unique watercolor painting technology allows creating real-life-looking watercolor paintings
• 12 new beautiful artist-designed watercolor brushes
• The new Color Picker now features the history of your previously used colors
• Use the new Color Grid in the new Color Picker to pick colors even more precisely
• Optimized Painting Engine gives you up to 2 times faster painting performance
• Now you can open 16-bit RGB, CMYK and Grayscale Photoshop image previews, as well as Photoshop images containing layer masks
• Insert an image as a new layer right from your iCloud Drive
• Use the Lock Alpha feature to paint on the non-transparent parts of a layer
• Preview of your brush while adjusting its settings
• Open and edit RAW image previews
• Full support for Adonit Jot Script, Jot Touch 4, Jot Touch with Pixelpoint styluses
• Enhanced stylus pressure sensitivity with all styluses
Attention to Detail
• Scale images without constraining proportions: Tools > Format > Arrange > Constrain Proportions
• Invert image colors with the new Invert color adjustment preset
• Open PDF files from your email or any other app
• See precise color values while selecting colors with the Eyedropper
• Adjust the settings of an effect more accurately with enhanced slider sensitivity
• Zoom into your image while still tweaking the effect’s settings
• Rotate text more accurately with the new text rotation slider: Tools > Format > Arrange
• Toggle between full-screen mode more easily
• Optimized memory use allows to undo much faster while painting
• Cleaner Eyedropper Interface
• Refreshed look of the Gradient Picker
• Auto Save improvements
• Updated Wacom Stylus SDK for even more precise painting
• Memory leak fixes
• Fixed Eyedropper crashes that happened while rotating the device
• Fixed adding layer from Photo Stream
• Fixed transforming maximum-sized layers
• Paint freely without affecting locked or hidden layers
• Smoothly transform maximum-sized layers
• The image no longer dims when adjusting the effect’s strength
March 19, 2015
iThoughts, mind mapping
iThoughts (mindmap) a great mind mapping tool for the iPad and iPhone has just been updated to version 2.11.
Mindmapping is a way to organize your thoughts in a non-linear fashion. Sometimes its easier to have a top down view instead of a list view for conceptualizing a problem, task or paper.
March 16, 2015
This week TextExpander 3 + custom keyboard, an app that helps you type faster on iPad and iPhone will be on sale for 80% off. Today, it is on sale for 99¢. It is a universal app.
The price goes up by $1 each day, so buy before time runs out. Full price returns Saturday.
You can view a video of the app in use on an iPhone here.
The TextExpander 3+ custom keyboard app is described as follows:
Type faster on your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch® in any App using the TextExpander keyboard. The keyboard enables custom abbreviations to expand into long snippets of text, such as addresses, URLs, email signatures, and form letters. You can even insert today’s date automatically with the default abbreviation “ddate”!
Access your TextExpander snippets while in Mail, Safari and other places. How does that work? Make an abbreviation “eemail” and have it expand into “firstname.lastname@example.org.”
Use advanced TextExpander snippets in over 60 apps with integrated support, including Byword, Dispatch, Drafts, Fantastical 2, Launch Center Pro, OmniFocus for iPhone, OmniOutliner for iPad, TaskAgent, and Tap Forms. See http://www.smilesoftware.com/apps for a complete list.
With advanced snippets you can even use fill-in-the-blanks to breeze through form letters.
If you use TextExpander on the Mac® you can sync your snippets via Dropbox, or share snippet groups with iPhones and iPads on the same Wi-Fi network.
It appears the sale has begun…
March 13, 2015
OmniGroup’s OmniPlan has been updated for both iPad and iPhone.
This app helps you visualize, maintain, and simplify projects. You can break down tasks, optimize required resources, and monitor your entire plan—all at a glance. It is possible to collaborate with your colleagues and share details and more.
OmniPlan v2.1 is now a universal app. That means it can run on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.
There are many changes including:
• Updated Layout — The layout of the interface has been adapted to work on smaller iPhone and iPod touch screens as well as larger iPad screens. As a result, many of the tools may no longer be where they used to be–and may even shift automatically to different locations depending on your screen size and orientation. We hope we’ve done this in a way that makes the app even easier to use efficiently, but if you have any comments about any of the changes please don’t hesitate to email us!
• MS Project 2013 Compatibility — The In-App Purchase feature for MS Project Support (OmniPlan Pro) has been updated with import and export support for MS Project 2013 (.mpp) files.
March 13, 2015
Attorneys, Depositions, Hearing, litigation, Motions, transcriptpad, trialpad
Two apps that are great tools for attorneys, TranscriptPad and TrialPad have just been updated. These apps help you prepare for trials, hearings and mediations. No matter what kind of litigation you may be involved with, these apps help you streamline and organize your thoughts.
TranscriptPad, is an app that allows you to review, markup and organize text file transcripts. One of the neat features is the ability to review through a transcript (note the file must be imported into the app as a txt file) and mark up parts of the transcript and organize them by topic. When you are finished, you can generate and share different reports that contain the relevant portions, organized by the topics you have created.
The updates to the app include:
> New Case Archiving functionality, for backing up and sharing larger cases.
> Stability improvements when importing corrupt case archives.
> Addressed UI Issues after generating reports in portrait orientation.
> Addressed an issue with using slash characters in a Case name.
> Other minor UI improvements.
TrialPad, an app that allows you to organize, present and markup documents, play videos and otherwise present information to a court, jury or in mediation, has also been updated.
This app is a great tool for zeroing in on relevant portions of documents, photos or other digital materials. You or witnesses can mark up the images in real time to allow the decision maker to focus on the relevant information.
The updates for TrialPad include:
> Addressed issues with the Edit and + menus in portrait orientation.
> Addressed an issue where TXT files are downloaded but may not be imported into the case until the New Files button is pressed.
> Addressed an issue loading annotations for Key Docs made from the same document, when opened in sequence.
> Other minor UI and stability improvements.